What happens after the treatment?
Once the results of blood tests and the side effects have improved, you will be able to go home again. Recovery may take time. In the first 2-3 months after a transplant, you will have regular appointments, examinations, and blood tests. You could also need blood or platelet transfusions.
Get in touch with the hospital immediately if you feel unwell, have a high temperature, or if you have any signs of infection.
It is important to look after your health while at home. Your doctors and nurses will give you advice which may include:
- Eat a healthy diet and limit the risk of infection through food.
- Get regular exercise.
- Avoid crowded places.
- Use an effective contraceptive.
- Check if you need any vaccinations.
- Talk to your medical team about any vacation plans.
- Protect your skin from the sun.